Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rat dissection on the first day of April??!!!

I thought to myself that today we will have rat dissection. But my friend didn't think so. After recess... They came running into the class saying they saw a lot of white rats. Haha.. I thought it was rather unfair because we weren't told that we had to do rat dissection today. Oh well...

We enter biology laboratory after recess, we ran to the back to check out the rats. They didn't smell good. Haha!!.. My friend took the rat one by one and put them into the glass bottle. All twelve of them. I wanted to catch one. Hehe.. But i couldn't master enough courage to open the cage and catch them. I kept on saying sorry to them. So poor thing. After that, they put chloroform to kill them. once the cotton wool dabbed with chloroform was thrown into the glass bottle. Al of them rush towards the opening but they couldn't push open the cover. They struggled so much and died eventually.

We took our utensils and then took the rat out of the glass bottle one by one. The chloroform on the fur of the rat melted the polystyrene. So we had to bathe the rat. My rat's eye was open. Only one eye was open. I thought it was alive at first. So scary... Haha... We asked teacher. Teacher said it is already dead. Then we pin its feet and hands with the pin and started cutting its fur, skin and finally we saw the organs. We had to cut open its thorax too.. Ahh!! The feeling.. Hehe.... erm.... Its heart was still beating... Hahaha!!!! After that we had to remove its intestines from the oesophagus to the rectum. But our rat had a weird growth inside. At first teacher thought it was a womb with a baby rat inside because our rat doesn't not have a testis. Teacher wanted to cut open. But after that, she asked me to cut. Hahaha!!!. I cut it and green liquid flowed out. I got a shocked and ran off. The whole class laughed at me. Hahaha!!! Don't know what was that. Don't know whether it is a cancer cell. After all that, we threw the rat into the dustbin. Haha.. the smell... Yucks!

It was a great experience. We will be having it again. Haha!!!... It was really great having Siew Chen as my partner. All of you should try it =P

3 comments:

Joel Yap said...

Dissecting rat?? So cool! So disgusting!
Keep on saying sorry? reminds me of someone. Hehehe...
Poor rat.
Interesting experiment.

Hui Ying said...

hahaha!! next time your turn =p..

Joel Yap said...

My turn???? I hope.... NEVER.
=P